Tips to make your boat ready for a boat storage warehouse in Redlands, CA
Posted by Dr. Terry Vines
However, without adequate preparation, both the boat’s interior and exterior may suffer damage, even indoors. Some vital tips to safeguard your boat before storing it for the winter season are as follows:
Change filter and add fresh oilWater or acids that enter your oil can cause engine corrosion. Make sure that you change the filter before adding the new oil.
Fill new anti-freezeDrain out the existing coolant before flushing with water. Top it up with fresh antifreeze but ensure that you have diluted it as per the specifications. This will protect engine parts from freezing and will prevent corrosion.
Spray fogging oilMake your engine turn over without starting it. Then while it is turning over, you should spray fogging oil through the spark plug holes or into the carburetor according to the boat’s manual. This will offer protection to the moving parts of the engine from the winter cold.
Loosen the drive beltsYour drive belts may get damaged from being under tension for extended periods. Loosen or remove the drive belts entirely prior to storing your boat.
Grease the steeringIf you grease the steering and control systems, it will ensure that they work smoothly when you use your boat. It is a good idea to cover the joints properly with grease.
Disconnect battery powerDo not let your battery drain out and die during the winter months. You should disconnect the battery and fill it with distilled water. Also, you need to charge it sometimes to ensure that it is up and running when re-hooked to your boat.
Fill the gasoline tankAn empty tank can encourage condensation build up. This can cause the tank to corrode or worse damage if the moisture in the tank freezes. You should use a gasoline stabilizer to ensure that your fuel is alright for use in spring.
Seal exhaust port openingsSpecific inboard powered boats contain big exhaust port openings which can enable pests to enter the engine. You can utilize duct tape to seal these openings.
Protect the interior itemsIf there are electronics on your boat, remove them. These are susceptible to extreme temperatures and moisture. Organic material such as canvas, leather, or fabric should be taken out. Moisture can lead to mold and mildew on such fabrics. You must empty the water tanks.
Use a boat coverA boat cover offers protection to your boat from dust, dirt, grime, and moisture. Covers ensure that your boat is as ready it can be when warmer weather comes around.
Call Now to reserve your space!
Tips for Cleaning and ProtectionGive your boat a thorough cleaning to finish the season. Close inspection of your boat will let you assess any damage that may have happened this season so that you are not surprised later.
- Wash and wax the exterior of your boat after your last outing for the summer.
- Take out cushions and other items which could be damp and lead to mildew. Clean these items as required, and put them in storage outside the boat.
- Give the interior carpets and floors a thorough cleaning.
- Utilize a marine protectant particular to boat vinyl to protect the upholstery.
- Make sure that your bilge spaces are oil-free and clean.
Tips for Regular Boat MaintenanceRoutinely maintained boats last longer. At the end of the summer, include the following steps in your routine maintenance.
- Adequately support the hull when storing it indoors to avoid physical cracking or misalignment of the engine.
- Assess all electronics, and get new ones if needed.
- Use grease on all bearings, and protect any exposed metal parts using an anti-corrosion spray.
- Change the boat’s oil two times in a year—when you store it, and when you take it out.
- Use well-constructed, ventilated canvas to cover the boat. It is essential to protect the waterline from grime and dust, even indoors.
- Redlands, CA storage experts discuss indoor boat storage cost and benefits
- The benefits of ground-level indoor boat storage services in Redlands CA
- The seasonal boat storage solutions search goes off well in Redlands CA
- Redlands, CA self-storage facility offers boat storage solutions for you
- Storage services in Redlands make it easy, affordable to keep your boat in ship-shape condition
- Tips to make your boat ready for a boat storage warehouse in Redlands, CA
- "What boat storage is near me?" Redlands, CA professionals discuss solutions
- Preparing your boat for storage in one of the best facilities in Redland, CA
- Tarps and Coverage for Seasonal Boat Storage